Watson steps down as Australia vice-captain

Australia all-rounder Shane Watson has decided to relinquish vice-captaincy duties in order to "focus" on his game. In a statement released by Cricket Australia, Watson said it was the right time for a change. 

"I think it's the right time for a change for both the team and me." Watson said. "I'll be honest and admit I wrestled with the decision for some time, however once I made up my mind, I informed Cricket Australia so the selectors could consider their options for the Ashes given the squads will be announced soon." 

Watson, who recently captained Australia in the fourth Test against India at Delhi in the absence of Michael Clarke, said his aim now is to be the best Test player for Australia. 

"I want to be the best Test player I can be for Australia and think I can do that by stepping down from the vice-captaincy to focus my attention on scoring runs, taking wickets and doing whatever is necessary to help the team achieve success." 

Watson, who was sacked along with three other players for the third Test against India in Mohali for a breach of team discipline, said he will continue to be a core-contributor in team decisions despite not being vice-captain in title. 

"I won't be the vice-captain in title but I think I can still be a leader and strong contributor around the group." 

Watson, who communicated his decision via telephone to National selector John Inverarity, coach Mickey Arthur and captain Clarke, thanked Cricket Australia for provind him a leadership role for the past two years and said he was looking forward to the next phase. 

"On Friday, I rang John Inverarity, Mickey Arthur and Michael Clarke to advise them of my decision and they respect that decision and agree with me that this is the best outcome for me and the team. 

"I thank Cricket Australia for the leadership opportunity over the past two years and I'm really looking forward to this next phase. In my conversations with Mickey and Michael I reaffirmed my commitment to the team and support for them as we fight to win back the Ashes and get back to being ranked number one in the world," Watson said. 

John Inverarity commended Watson for taking a tough call while saying that the all-rounder will still remain a senior leader in the team. 

"Shane Watson should be commended for making the tough call to step down from the vice-captaincy to focus on playing. Regardless, he will still be an important senior leader within the team. 

"The National Selection Panel (NSP) will now consider and then put a vice-captaincy recommendation to the Cricket Australia Board for its approval." 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts